Write the meaning of each word as used in the "context of the sentence" of the novel and discussed in class. Add page numbers. This is to be used for chapter quizzes.
ruefully pg. 5
1. Why was Matts father willing to leave him alone in the wilderness for seven weeks?
chinking pg. 7
proprietors pg. 9
stock pg. 9
hemlock pg. 10
2. In modern times what could happen to a twelve-year old boy left by himself for seven weeks? make a T comparison.
Boy in 1768 Boy in 2007
passal pg. 13
expedition pg. 16
3. Why was the loss of the gun so important?
deprived pg. 19
nippy pg. 19
shambles pg. 20
pewter pg. 20
4. Matt made two big mistakes that limited his food supply. What were they?
boggy pg. 23
endure pg. 22
5. Why do you think the Indians were so kind to Matt?
hobbled pg. 27
pesky pg. 28
defiance pg. 31
incomprehensible pg. 31
6. What does the word treaty mean?
disdainfully pg. 33
rigid pg. 33
7. If your were Matt, how would you begin teaching someone to read?
8. Explain why you think Matts strategy of teaching by reading Robinson Crusoe was a good one?
9. Matt had not thought anything about Robinson Crusoe's slave until Attean was offended. Why was Matt troubled?
10. Fill in the lines on the organizer with words you know about each character. Add lines if needed. (Character attribute web.)
11. How are Attean and Matt like Robinson Crusoe and Friday?
12. Make a list of things Matt learned from Attean. What do you think Attean learned from Matt?
Matt Learned Attean Learned
13. Why did Attean hate the iron trap?
14. Where did Matt get more stories for Attean?
15. How did Matt help Attean kill the bear? Do you think this was enough for Attean to consider Matt a hero? Was this a way for Matt to win respect?
16. What to you think was strange about the feast?
17. Why did Attean's grandmother not want Matt to be at the feast?
18. How did Attean's grandmother show approval of Matt?
forfeit pg. 101
retorted pg. 103
ordeal pg. 104
19. What did
we learn about Attean's grandmother? How is she like your grandmother?
20. How did Attean prepare himself for his manitou?
reproach pg. 110
unhampered pg. 113
boisterous pg. 114
21. What great honor did Saknis offer Matt?
22. Attean gave Matt the special farewell present of his dog. What very special farewell present would you give your best friend?
shucked pg. 120
prowess pg. 122
feat pg. 123
scant pg. 124
trenchers pg. 125
23. Matt stayed very busy. How did he prepare for winter?
knack pg. 128
floundered pg. 128
24. Why was Matt happy in a lonely cabin?
clamor pg. 131
fend pg. 133
jerky pg. 134
25. What do you think Matt's family would think was the best story Matt would tell? Why?
Quizes: Work and turn in your score.
On-line Comprehension Quiz - I
On-line vocabulary Quiz - II